Saturday, September 26, 2015

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Review

Hey Guys, it's been about 3 weeks since Metal Gear Solid V released. Critics are praising this game like it was the second coming of Jesus. However, does the game really deserve perfect scores? To be completely honest, no it doesn't. Please, just be sure to hear me out and understand where I'm coming from. I will keep this Spoiler free as I'll have a spoiler talk in a separate article. Anyways, onto the review!




Story: 7 out of 10
That's right, I'm giving this story a "solid" 7 out of 10. You want to know why? Well, the game does have strong voice acting, despite the fact that Big Boss barely talks in the game, and the story rarely has a dull moment during Chapter 1. This game will keep you on the edge of your seat. However, this game lost 3 whole points due to the fact on how weak Chapter 2 was. Please, don't even get me started on that ending. If you've beaten the game, then you'll know what I mean. This has to be one of the most polarizing endings I've seen all year. The ending is both genius and disappointing. Essentially, the second half of the game is a huge slap in the face. Most of the missions are just challenges from older missions once you get to Chapter 2. Just enjoy Chapter 1 for as long as you can. The story will keep you busy though. I think I put in above 40 hours worth of gameplay once I finished the story.

Graphics: 10 out of 10
We all already know how awesome the Fox Engine looks! This has to be one of the best looking games on current-gen consoles. I played this the Xbox One version and I have to say that it can stack up the PlayStation 4's level of graphics.

Gameplay: 10 out of 10
It's clear as to where all the focus was at. This is an open-world stealth game. It's similar to Far Cry, but it's so much different in every way at the same time. You don't even have to play stealthy either! The game doesn't penalize too much for going guns-blazing other than making it more difficult to survive and a lower score, but most of us really don't care about the score.

I would also recommend taking full advantage of the buddy system. D-Dog and Quiet are especially helpful buddies that can really help you out if you're feeling stuck. D-Dog is more for stealth-players while Quiet is pretty much versatile. The more you use them on the battlefield, the more your bond with them grows. Once they reach a certain bond level, you can unlock new commands for them as well as new outfits.

How could I forget to mention Mother Base? It's amazing getting to upgrade Mother Base while progressing through the game. You have to gather resources in order to do this as well as recruit some soldiers for your base. You can even play as some of them as part of your Combat Unit! FOB Mother Base really isn't that good. I think it's just there just to be there. However, make sure to upgrade Mother Base as it allows you to develop new weapons and new weapon upgrades. The Fulton device is a huge help, so make sure to upgrade that, so you're able to capture vehicles and larger weapons such as turrets and mortars.


VGT Score: 9 out of 10
Look, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain does not deserve a 10 score. However, it doesn't change the fact that this game is awesome. This game has an insane value for only $60, so I would highly recommend that you get this game at full price. Trust me, it's worth it.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: