Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Call of Duty: Ghosts Review

Hey Guys, I meant to write this review over a month ago, but I totally forgot about it. However, this will be a long review, so most of you guys might not read it and just skip down to the score. In contrast, those of you who will read, then let me begin.
Ever since its inception, Call of Duty: Ghosts became the lowest scoring game in the franchise. The highest score the game got was an 8.8 from IGN. However, I highly disagree with the critics that gave this game a 5 or a 6. These critics (especially the fans) have no idea what a 5 or 6 game is really like! Come on guys. Just because this franchise is a copy-and-paste does not mean it's not good. Infinity Ward actually made the game more improve from Modern Warfare 3, so I'm going to review this game as honestly as I can. I am NOT a fanboy, but I take offense to people who say this is the worst game ever. However, this game is still not perfect.

Story: 7 out of 10
My first complaint about the campaign is that it's way too short! I played the game on Veteran, and it took me only 5 hours to complete. I asked some of my friend on how long it took them to finish the game. Most of them completed in 4 hours or less. Seriously Infinity Ward? The campaign is a huge disappointment. I expected the game to be stealth-heavy, but stealth seems to be obsolete in this game despite the fact that the Ghost squad is focused on stealth. I think there are 2 or 3 stealth missions, then you end up being compromised and have to shoot your way out of situations. Also, you only play as Riley, the dog, twice. Infinity Ward got players hyped up for Riley, but failed to let players play as him! The characters are just unlikable. You can tell that Infinity Ward tried to make Keegan a fan favorite, but you just can't like any of the characters due to the game's short length. How about the story itself? South America tries to take over the Unites States. The trailers did a good job to make Call of Duty: Ghosts take place during a post-apocalyptic America, but none of that really matters. I was looking forward to this new approach to this concept, but this concept failed to deliver. The story is just another modern shooter cliche. Please, don't get me started on the space sections. These space section just don't follow Newton's Laws of Physics!

Graphics: 8.5 out of 10
60 fps is still a good thing, but 3 GB to install a Call of Duty game? When I first saw the install size, I thought that Infinity Ward actually put some effort to utilizing the IW engine. I was right! The game looks way better than Blacks Ops 2 and Modern Warfare 3. However, the game does look less colorful, but it just adds to the feeling of being grim. What about Destructible Environments? That is just almost non-existent. Battlefield has been doing destructible environments for a long time, but Call of Duty can't even pull it off! Overall, Call of Duty: Ghosts's graphics get the job done.

Multiplayer/Gameplay: 8.5 out of 10
Since most of the gameplay rest in the online portion of Ghosts, this portion of the review will be a mix of the multiplayer and gameplay. Okay, new game modes have been added to Ghosts. This includes Blitz, Squads, and Search & Rescue. Blitz and Squads are just disappointing. I highly recommend playing this game on Search & Rescue. It's similar to Search & Destroy, but when you die you drop dog tags. If your teammate picks it up, you come back to life. If the enemy team picks it up, you're done for. I like this concept, but sometimes your team will be total jerks and not get your tags. My biggest complaint has to be the maps. The maps are way too big for a Call of Duty game! There is almost no point to submachine guns or shotguns anymore. I highly recommend going in with an assault rifle. The character customization sucks in this game. You can choose your gender, but it's a let down. I expected it to be like a Saints Row like character customization, but that's not the case. You have to unlock character models and outfits by completing challenges! All of these should be available! Also, you no longer have to go through a series of events to unlock weapons. You now can unlock weapons using Squad Points, which you get by ranking up. I like this new approach. Next, there no longer is multiple prestige. You can prestige once, and create new characters to prestige again for a total of 10 times. Dolphin Diving is gone, but sliding is now added to the game. I personally find it useful at times, but you might not be using it too often.

VGT SCORE: 8 out of 10
Ghosts is no way a bad game, but it's not that great. The game is good. That's all I'm going to say about it. Infinity Ward tried putting effort into the multiplayer, gameplay, and graphics. However, Infinity Ward couldn't tell a story to save their lives. This game is hard to recommend. However, play the multiplayer if you do decide to buy it. Just ignore the story all together even though most of you guys don't even bother with it.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: