Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Can Project X compete with PUBG?

Hey Guys, this is actually new and I'm early to commentate on it! Okay, we all know what Player Unknown's Battlegrounds is due to its crazy amount of popularity and concurrent players. Seriously, this game is just killing it. Since I'm a console peasant, I'll have to wait until the Xbox One version of the game releases to be able to get into the action.
Image Provided by Eurogamer

















We got a couple of details from the developer, Automaton, that the game will support 400 players in a Battlegrounds inspired gameplay. There was also a couple of screenshots, but it's nothing special since it doesn't really tell us anything important about the game. These maps are going to be huge (they are aiming for 12km by 12km) in order to accommodate the amount of players on a server.

Okay, I know what most of you are thinking. This is just aiming to be a Battlegrounds clone or merely aiming to profit off of Battlegrounds's success. It's arguable for sure.

If you've been following my blog for a while, you'll know I'm not a fan of big open-world games if there is nothing to do in them. What makes Battlegrounds so different to this exception is that the map decreases over time and you have to explore to get better items and weapons. It gets the adrenaline pumping!

If Project X is too similar to Battlegrounds in this regard besides just being bigger, then it's just a rip-off at that point. According to an IGN article,"In addition to its Battle Royale mode, the MMO will feature dynamic weather, roaming wildlife, social hubs, and a "player-driven" story". The final half of this sentence reminds me of The Division. That's not a good thing. I didn't like Tom Clancy's Pedestrian Simulator. The game has gotten better, but that's besides the point.

The point is, if this game doesn't do something avoid being similar to Battlegrounds then its in trouble. What's the point of being bigger if there's no soul?

Honestly, I'd rather stick to PUBG. I like the idea of 100 players. Anything above that is just too much for me. If you are liking this idea, that's fine. It will be releasing in 2018. Because of the popularity of PUBG, I don't see anyone switching over to Project X any time soon.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: