Saturday, July 18, 2015

What happened to split screen co-op?

Hey Guys, this was a topic that I kind of touched upon from my last post. However, I now believe this was a good time to really go more into it.
Image provided by Cupegraf Wallpapers
Before online gaming was a thing, most of grew up playing with a friend, sibling, or family member through split screen. I was a big Nintendo kid when I was around six, so most of the games I grew up with were Mario games. Mario Party was a pretty bid deal at the time as well because it was fun when you're able to sit down with friends and just play with them on the same screen!

Don't even get me started on the Smash Bros. series either. Super Smash Bros is still really popular and the 8-players that can be on screen is still awesome! A lot of good childhood memories came from playing Super Smash Bros. Even though I'm older, the game is still really fun to play.

Exactly, why do I have a Left 4 Dead image? Well, all of grew out of Nintendo and decided to move up to the world of Microsoft and Sony. Left 4 Dead is considered a pinnacle of co-op play. I didn't have Xbox Live at the time, so I had to play it on split screen. Despite having no online for myself, I still had fun with it because I was having a bond with whoever I was playing with.

Remember Resident Evil 5? I remember how hyped that game was because it was the first time that co-op would be introduced to the tables. Sure most Resident Evil fans were angered that the franchise was turning to an action game, but we didn't care because the co-op was just enjoyable. This game is best experienced in split screen to be totally honest. Jesus, I still had fun with Resident Evil 6 because it still had an enjoyable split screen experience.

However, split screen co-op began dying out in order to bring performance to games. Borderlands: The Handsome collection is the only "new" game so far that has 60fps yet allows 4-player split screen even if it downgrades its frame rate. There were other games that do it too, but I can't think of any that come off the top of my head besides Call of Duty.

It's cool to have online co-op, so that way a person can get the full experience of their game. However, think about people who have their friends over and want to play some video games! Split screen is slowly dying out due to online co-op and the need to improve game performance.

I can go on forever with the list of games that do co-op or split screen right, but the list can on for a while. I just find it sad that a lot of new games don't have split screen anymore. Please, we need to keep split screen alive.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: