Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Will The Evil Within 2 fail Financially?

Hey Guys, I was browsing NeoGaf and stumbled upon an article that I found to be interesting. Instead of making a post responding to multiple threads on NeoGaf like I usually do, I decided that I want to talk about this topic in depth because I'm very interested in The Evil Within.

Image Provided by Bethesda
















Okay, I understand what the OP was trying to get to when he mentioned that back in 2014 The Evil Within was released into a market where we didn't have a Japanese Survival horror game available in October. Additionally, he mentioned that the game was hyped up way ahead of its launch due to its artwork, "slow cross gen period" and the developers behind it.

I personally became hyped up for the game when I heard the director of Resident Evil 4 was working on The Evil Within. I don't believe there was a gameplay trailer until E3, but that is what solidified my hype for the game. At that time, people who were really into Resident Evil were hyped for this game due to the disappointment of Resident Evil 6 for not going back to its survival horror roots.

The OP was right about there not being enough promotion to The Evil Within 2. I don't even think I seen one commercial on live TV promoting the game while the first game has plenty of commercials for the game-at least when I was watching AMC. Additionally, Resident Evil 7 released this year! Who wouldn't want to buy that game over The Evil Withing 2? Promotion is going to be the killing blow for this horror sequel since the only sources promoting the game's release are gaming outlets and a couple of retail stores!

I chuckled a bit when he mentioned Sins of the Father Curse. This actually made a lot of sense. Titantfall and Watch Dogs weren't bad games, but they ultimately ended up as some of the most disappointing games at the time. While I never played Watch Dogs 2, I can say that Titanfall 2 is a significant improvement over the first game and easily one of the best games of 2016. However, it was wiped out due to Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1 demolishing the gaming market. I even forgot to mention the other games that came out in October which even include the Skyrim remaster!

Another thing I feel like should  be mentioned was the fact The Evil Within released on Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. See where I am getting at? Since it was available on so many consoles, it's able to have a much bigger audience, so the fact that The Evil Within 2 will only be available on three platforms means that sales are going to take a hit.

Going back to the Sins of the Father Curse, I wouldn't say that The Evil Within was a bad game. I agree with the author that it's flawed, but I never really encountered the problems the OP listed. My main issue with the game is the main protagonist not really having much of a personality.

I don't believe that the game is going to be a complete commercial failure, but I do feel like it's not going to exactly match its predecessor's sales on day one. Based on early impressions of the game, The Evil Within 2 is an improvement over the first game. I know I'm getting it through Amazon on Friday, so I'm personally excited for the game.

If I'm wrong about the game not being a commercial failure, then I can definitely see it becoming a cult classic much like Titanfall 2.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: