Thursday, February 9, 2017

Ghost Recon: Wildlands Closed Beta Impressions

Hey Guys, after spending a good chunk of my weekend binge playing Ghost Recon while also getting my taxes done, it's time to finally give my impressions of the closed beta. Before I say anything, I must mention that I played the Xbox One version of the game.
Even though this is on Xbox One, it's still a good looking game...


















If you haven't noticed, this is a good looking game. I literally spent a good 10 minutes just looking around when I first got into the game. When Ubisoft said this is one of the biggest games they have ever created, they really meant it. Even though this is just a beta, there is quite a bit of land for you to explore and interact with. I'll get into the bad later.

Digressing from the visuals, you will be amazed by the character creator. This is a major improvement from The Division. As a matter of fact, The Division should have had a similar character creation tool. The actual facial configuration is minimal, but the clothing options are just amazing! Everything from jackets to backpacks, you can create a unique looking character. I was genuinely surprised by the amount of clothing customization, so A+ to you Ubisoft for actually taking feedback from The Division.

The graphics and the customization are easily the strongest points of the game. However, everything else is just hit or miss. I'll talk about my thoughts on the story as well as the gameplay.

I'm not going to lie, I couldn't pay attention to the cutscenes. The dialogue didn't feel normal as everyone talks as if they were disinterested and the lip synchronization just feels off. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who experiences this.

The story isn't anything special based on what we got. Seriously, this is something that has been done before by different video games.

The gameplay is reminiscent of Metal Gear Solid V in the sense that you are able to choose stealth or go full assault. However, this is a game that relies on going through sub-missions that are virtually the same in order to unlock main story missions.The design just feels so cheap that way. While it makes sense in game why you have to go through these sub-missions in order to gain information of how to progress to the story, more effort could have been done to the variety of types of missions.

My last point that I want to make about the game is the co-op. Is it good? Yes, this is game is best played in four player co-op. You can have a great time playing with a couple of friends, so if you can avoid it try not to play this game alone as it's a total letdown to do so.

Overall, the game is enjoyable, but it's not a game for everybody. Imagine The Division, but it's slightly better. Otherwise, this game doesn't do anything that we have never seen before. Because this is a beta, I imagine that some of the problems I address will be fixed. Honestly, if the game had a more compelling story as well as an improvement to the gameplay, then it would be a great game.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: