Monday, October 5, 2015

Destiny now has optional microtransactions - Just why?

Hey Guys, I just stumbled upon an article about 15 minutes ago about Destiny. I was just baffled as to what I saw. Destiny will be getting in-game microtransactions with the return of Tess Everis. You can check out the full article here.


Essentially, you have to pay about $1 or less on emotes if you want to use them. Actually, I'm not even sure if I'm even close to the actual pricing as I'm just making assumptions. Please, do keep in mind that I am fully aware that these are optional. However, it still really doesn't justify that you have to pay for some decorations that really won't effect the way you play.

Here's what community manager DeeJ had to say about it, "If you’re not interested in what Tess has to offer, you won’t ever be forced to pluck an item off of her shelf. You’ll still receive updates to the game, and you won’t lose a Crucible encounter or fail to clear a Raid because you didn’t have the right Eververse Trading Company emote equipped".

Want to know the problem with this? If it's not going to effect the way I play the game, then what's the point of me paying for it!? Why can't I just put in the effort and actually earn the emotes? As a matter of fact, why not just include both? Is Bungie seriously this cheap to actually allow people to work for something?

I don't think microtransactions are really that bad. They are very useful for people who just don't have the time to invest in a video game especially in RPGs and MMOs. However, there are a lot of times where microtransactions just get out of hand. For instance, if they are used for either paywalls and/or useless items such as these emotes thing in Destiny.

I don't play Destiny often anymore, so excuse my ignorance on these emotes. I'm being 100% honest that I have no clue what they are. However, I can still be credible with my argument because Destiny shouldn't have microtransactions like this!

I really don't feel strongly for DLC unless it really has meaning to a game, but even that's subjective. It's my opinion that The Taken King DLC is a overpriced DLC that rips off users who have bought the game along with its Expansion Pass. Seriously, you can't defend this. You can't even defend the $40 price tag for the download only version! However, I'm just digressing at this point.

Who is to say that Destiny will just get more microtransactions? Trust me, video game companies are becoming more greedy throughout the years and supporting microtransactions will just make it worse.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: