Monday, July 17, 2017

Ataribox: My Thoughts

Hey Guys, I understand that we don't know much details about Atari's new product, Atairbox, but I still feel inclined to say something about it based on what information was provided.

Image Provided by IGN




















It's clear that with the success of the NES Classic Edition that Atari is going to try and cash in on some of the action. Do I care about this? No. Atari is a business after all, so what business wouldn't want to take an opportunity like this to get as much money as possible?

I like the design of this console. While you can easily tell that it's not going to take Atari cartridges, it's probably going to contain Atari classics in a digital format much like the NES Classic. It will support retro classics and "current gaming content". Whatever "current gaming content" means is beyond me. Maybe it'll support ROM files, so you can add more games. It has an SD card slot for a reason, but this is my own speculation.

I guess the real question should be which Atari games will be featured? Will we just get 2600 games? 7800? How about the Atari Jaguar? Besides, this product will be useless if the games are lackluster or unappealing.

We just need to see what else this product could do. However, if it does what I think it does in the sense that you could add more games to it then it's already doing something much better than the NES Classic and the SNES classic.

Would I pick this up? If I feel like it's going to sell like hotcakes or become a rare item, then I would buy one. Otherwise, this is just another retro console being re-released.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: