Monday, July 31, 2017

Destiny 2 Beta Impressions

Hey Guys, now that I've played the Destiny 2 beta it's time that I share my thoughts. Look, I'm only going to say how I feel about it. I'm sure this isn't representative of the full game, but this still gives us a good idea of what this game is going to be like.
Although I'm not going to go much into it, but Destiny 2 has some damn good-looking environments


















As soon as you start up the beta, the game prompts you to choose your class and boot up the campaign after you pick your class. There are some pretty cool moments that the cutscenes show you, but what about the story itself?

From what I could tell, I guess it's a story of getting the light back. Sounds like a traditional storytelling element, but I feel like if the dialogue is done right then the story could be good. Think about The Last of Us. The story really isn't anything special, but the way it was conveyed between the characters is what made the game so memorable.

The only memorable character from what I saw in the campaign would be Cayde. I love that silly son of a bitch! He's a bit reminiscent of Claptrap from Borderlands, but Cayde is actually more of a badass than Claptrap. Everyone else just isn't appealing to me. I understand that the main antagonist is only shown for a few minutes, but he already looks generic. Just because he has a deep voice doesn't mean he's a brilliantly written character. I'm sorry, but I just didn't feel like he was an intimidating or memorable villain.

There was still some cool action provided by the campaign. Destiny 2 could take a Doom route in the sense that the gameplay is a lot stronger than the campaign itself. However, they really should have had a difficulty selection for the beta because I felt that it was way too easy for me. Maybe the inclusion of a hard mode would be great for the campaign.

Okay, what about the multiplayer? Destiny was known for its raids, strikes, and PvP multiplayer, so they've had to improve it, right?

I'm going to be honest with you. If you didn't like Destiny, you're definitely not going to like Destiny 2. Fans of Destiny are going to be divisive over the PvP, but it's fun for what it is. I feel like the time to kill is a little too quick because the health regeneration is way too slow and with certain weapons you could literally take out anyone with a couple of shots.

Honestly, everything feels slow! Why the hell does it take so long for my health to regenerate? Why the hell do I have to wait so long for my Super ability to charge up? Why the hell do I have to wait for my abilities in general to charge up? Is it for balance? I'm cool with it in the PvP, but if I have to deal with this in the raids and campaign then I'm not going to have a good time!

However, you can notice that teams do have to work together because of the nerfs. Want to surely finish someone off? Gang up on someone. Need some protection or want someone else to be targeted, go towards your team.

I already didn't like the grinding in Destiny especially when it was mixed with random loot drops, so how is this supposed to attract new players?

Other than a really big nerf and a campaign, Destiny 2 doesn't feel much different than Destiny. Even if everything was tweaked, what are we supposed to do about the campaign? If that's garbage, then people who didn't like Destiny because of the lack of a story are most likely not going to play Destiny 2. Once again, if you loved Destiny then don't let me stop you buy Destiny 2. It's all just my silly opinion.

I just get the feeling this is more like Destiny 1.5 than Destiny 2.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: