Friday, November 27, 2015

A Response to Samuel Roberts's Article "Why MGS5's ending is one perfect moment in a bad story"

Hey Guys, it's been a while since I mentioned anything about The Phantom Pain. First, I loved the game. It's easily a competitor for Game of the Year! I even gave the game a high score on my review of it. However, I did not give it a perfect score due to the story. Although I may not be a big fan of the story, I would not say it is bad.

I stumbled upon this article and have a mixed response to it. If you want to check out Samuel Robert's article, be sure to click here. If you did not already guess it, but this post will contain spoilers for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Please, do not read on if you plan on playing the game and/or are currently playing the game.

As my usual response posts, I will be breaking down some key quotes made in the article. I will not just be focusing on quotes that I disagree with, but this article does have some valid points that I need to address. Anyways, let me get started,


  • "As someone who's followed the series very closely since the original Metal Gear Solid, though, I find so many of the creative decisions behind the story baffling in tone, approach and content". He does have a good point here, but I would not say that there is a complete loss of creativity is this game. A vocal parasite that effects the English language? That sounds pretty unique to me. However, I did feel that this game really did lack a lot of what made the previous entries in the franchise's story so good. 
  • "Like a lot of observers I was onto this from the start of MGSV's story. In my review-in-progress piece in September, I called this version of Snake 'an anonymous action hero' and ‘an empty vessel'". If you're confused as to what he was talking about in the first part of the quote, he was talking about how most people were already aware of the fact that you were not playing as Big Boss. If you went into the game without knowing that you were not playing as Big Boss, then you would have already caught on to the fact that Big Boss really lacked in character in the Phantom Pain. Seriously, I think Big Boss had like 5 or 10 minutes worth of dialogue in the entire game. Why the decision was made for Big Boss to remain silent is beyond me, but I think it had something to due with the fact that this is not the real Big Boss.
  • "Having lost nine years of his life to a coma, he then gives up his own identity to assume that of his ally for his protection, through both hypnotherapy and plastic surgery, then builds an entire army and forges relationships on an entirely false premise". The Medic is essentially a nobody. Mr. Roberts even addresses this later in the article. If anything, it really makes you want to feel bad for him since everything the Medic did means nothing since most people saw him as Big Boss including himself.
  • "But the story feels deliberately unfinished—Quiet, Huey and Eli (Liquid Snake) all just vanish in various ways throughout chapter two, stripping more and more of Metal Gear’s lore away from The Phantom Pain". Honestly, the game does feel unfinished. Chapter 3 must have been cut from the main game because Chapter 2 was just painful to play through. Personally, I felt it was just filler at that point. There really was no closure to the game, but I feel there is as future DLC that will give this game a proper closing. 
In the grand scheme of things, Metal Gear Solid V is a great game. However, it is easily the worst game in the series in terms of story. Honestly, I do not feel the "ending" was great either. When I found out I wasn't playing as Big Boss, I felt so cheated. At the same time, it was still a genius ending as it was Kojima's way of giving the ol' tip of the hat to fans of the series.

We can't help but feel bad for the medic since his story is pretty tragic. Although we are not playing as the real Big Boss, it does not take away from core gameplay. As I said before, the story isn't bad in terms of video games in general, but I would say it's bad in terms of Metal Gear standards.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: