Monday, June 12, 2017

Friday the 13th The Game: Review

Hey Guys, it's been a long time since I did a review for a game. What better time to release a review for Friday the 13th The Game? Okay, before I go to talk about the game itself, let me tell you about the current situation.

Friday the 13th: The Game is a mess. I would be dishonest if I didn't tell you how broken this game can be at times. Server issues are still plaguing the game as of writing this, so good luck getting into a quick match. I'm not sure how it's like on the PC and PS4 versions of the game, but Xbox One servers are just garbage at the moment.

If you're on the Xbox One version, always join a private match via the "looking for group" function through the game hub. Private match is peer to peer connection, so if the host has quick internet then you should experience less lag and less disconnection.

Okay, let me go to the review.

Image Provided by Bleeding Cool




















What I Hated
Normally, I like to start off with what I liked, but I'll start off with the negatives.

The number of maps you could play on this game is extremely limited. There are only a total of three maps you can play on. Maybe it was done on purpose, but we don't necessarily have to stay true to the movies. We could always have more camp related maps. It's something they could add in a future update, but it would have been more beneficial to include more maps.

Rolling perks can be extremely frustrating. I understand that it's done to keep the game balance, but understand that it takes a while to earn points in order to roll for a new perk. While you can sell back the perks you have, you have a chance of still getting duplicate perks after selling them. I've never been a fan of random drops, so naturally I'm not going to enjoy them in any game.

Even though the game was patched, there are still a few bugs and glitches. However, they are more hilarious than exploitative. Before the game was patched on the Xbox One version, there was a glitch where you could place a bear trap very close to a cabin door that can prevent Jason from entering the cabin. Nothing is more annoying than seeing a player use a glitch in order to win the game. Where is the honor is using glitches to win the game?

The progression system doesn't feel rewarding in my opinion.You only receive extra counselors, more clothing options for the counselors, and extra Jason skins. You also get credit points in order to purchase perks and Jason's executions. It's standard stuff.

What I Liked
Despite the fact that Jason has all these abilities, the game is pretty balanced. Yes, Jason can pretty much kill you instantly if he grabs a hold of you, but taking the time to search around the map for a pocket knife will lead to a counter.

It's great that the game forces you to explore the map for the supplies you need to survive and/or escape Jason. The amount of time it takes to escape depends on the coordination of the counselors. You can even have some funny moments. There are some hilarious ways of getting murdered by Jason such as randomly running into him by turning a corner or something.

I love the fact that Jason can hear you and you can hear him. Nothing is more enjoyable than having a trash talking Jason. It just makes the entertainment a whole lot better.

Teamkilling is extremely helpful. Before you gasp in shock, hear me out. It gets rid of the trolls. If I remember correctly, people were able to block cars from moving by standing in front of it. It's just a godsend to be able to kill someone who is trying to screw you over.


Final Thought: Price Drop
If you are a fan of the Friday the 13th franchise or like the cat-and-mouse style of game, there is no reason why you should miss out on this game. It's just a great game at its core, but it's just plagued with connection problems and bugs.

It's nothing a patch can fix, but at its current state it's not worth rushing out and getting it. This is a type of game that can benefit from updates, so I'm sure that a couple of months from now it'll be a lot better than when it initially launched. There is even a story mode that will be added to the game sometime in the summer, so that's something to look forward to.

As a final thought, I think this is a game that the critics got wrong. This is not one of the most disappointing games of 2017, so I just get pissed whenever I see this game get labeled as such.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: