Monday, June 19, 2017

Assassin's Creed Origins: My Thoughts

Hey Guys, I think we all knew that this was coming. Personally, I'd prefer if Ubisoft just left the license alone, but I'll give them a shot at how they can improve the franchise after sales of the games started to decline. After seeing gameplay from Microsoft's E3 conference, I have quite an opinion on the game a lot of you may not expect.

Image Provided by Xbox













At its core, this is pretty much the same gameplay style that Assassin's Creed is known for. However, the combat is something that I am optimistic about. You can tell that it's no longer button mashing and is very reminiscence of another game that I know that stars a professional monster slayer who loves playing cards in his spare time.

Okay, you can even argue that the combat is similar to Dark Souls. No longer will a group of guys try to fight you one-on-one. They're going to attack you at the same time to make sure you're dead. I guess they're trying to go in Assassin's Creed Unity's direction in terms of making the game more difficult. Assassin's Creed Syndicate was way too easy despite enemy difficulty being based on what level you are.

Do I even have to mention the visuals? This easily has to be one of the best looking games shown at E3. I am a bit disappointed that I haven't experienced the gameplay in 4K with HDR. Seriously, the environment just looks so alive especially with wildlife just doing their own business.

There are two major issues that I have with this game that I do want to talk about: the story and the open-world environment.

If you haven't noticed in recent years, the story for Assassin's Creed hasn't been strong. Some people like the story and others hate it. Personally, I haven't found them to be interesting since Assassin's Creed III. The future story got fucked up so bad that it just seems to get worse every time it "progresses". Seriously, does anyone even remember the story from the previous games? Honestly, I feel like they need focus their attention to the future timeline since it used to be interesting at one point in time!

Personally, I thought Assassin's Creed IV had a solid story in the past timeline; otherwise, it was the first game that saw the decline in quality in the future timeline. However, I would be happy if Origins has a solid past story and shit future story rather than a shit past story and shit future story.

This is an Ubisoft game. Do we really trust them with an open-world game nowadays? I can already see this being similar to Ghost Recon: Wildlands. A huge open world with not much to do. You're probably going to end up doing the same activities that were featured in Assassin's Creed IV. Hell, the eagle mechanic looks like something from Far Cry Primal if you think about it.

One way I feel like they can avoid an empty open-world is to add an ass load of interesting side quests. Yes, that's the second time I referenced The Witcher 3 in one post. However, I'm being dead serious. At least that can justify having a world as large at this one.

I really don't want this game to be bad. I desperately want it to rejuvenate the franchise, but I just can't trust Ubisoft to make it work. After all, they are the reason why most of their open-world games end up being criticized.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: