Sunday, August 14, 2016

Was the Fallout 4 Season Pass Worth It?

Hey Guys, with the Nuka World DLC coming out this month and being the final DLC for Fallout 4 I believe that it's time to evaluate the value we got from the season pass. Although I should be waiting for the Nuka World DLC to release in order to get a definitive evaluation of the season pass, there is more than enough content to talk about the season pass. This is going to be a lengthy article, so get your drinks ready. However, I will include a tl;dr for those of you who are either lazy or unsure about the point I'm going to make.


I loved Fallout 4. The base game was fun to go through, but once you finished the main quest and a majority of the side quests there really wasn't much to do. Before any DLC released, starting a new game was an option, but it wasn't the best option because of the dialogue system being downgraded.

If you are a veteran Fallout player, you would know that most of the DLC released in the past Fallout games(specifically Fallout 3 and New Vegas) were story-driven. You could easily put in 10 hours alone for the Broken Steel DLC for Fallout 3. Additionally, all the DLC for Fallout 3 was story-driven. New Vegas had majority story-driven DLC, but there was a couple of miscellaneous DLC that also released for it.

Fallout 4, as of 2016, only has two story-driven DLC. I am not counting Automatron has one of them because it can be beaten in less than 3 hours. Additionally, it is mostly made for crafting. This means that 4 of Fallout 4's DLC available is made for crafting.

I think you got a clue as to where I am getting at. Fallout 4's DLC gave us access to the expansion of the crafting system. Not to say that they are bad, but they were just painfully mediocre. The recent Vault-Tech workshop DLC isn't that bad, but it isn't great. However, the first workshop DLC was just terrible because there really isn't much to do on your settlements to begin with.

Crafting isn't one of my favorite things to do. Minecraft and Terraria just don't peak my interest because I don't like crafting. I prefer to play games with a story rather than just playing a game with no goals. I know I can make my own goals with crafting games and spend endless amounts of time crafting, but it just doesn't give me the same satisfaction of going through a story.

Honestly, I feel like the season pass wasn't worth the $30 I paid for because I just don't enjoy crafting as a whole. However, I am glad I only paid $30 instead of $50. If you enjoy crafting, then you probably got your money's worth out of the game.

However, I believe this was done on purpose because Fallout 4 is clearly not meant for veteran Fallout players. It was dubbed down to appeal to new fans because not everyone is going to be a fan of the slow-paced, complex nature of Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

td:lr: Season pass is not worth it for players looking for story based DLC.

Anyways, I hope that Nuka World is a fitting conclusion to the DLC for Fallout 4. Maybe it will be the best DLC or maybe it will disappoint.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: