Wednesday, July 8, 2015

A Response to Adam Mills's Article, "5 Reasons Not to Pre-Order Fallout 4"

Hey Guys, I recently stumbles upon an article on Gotta Be Mobile which became popular on the newsfeed for Fallout 4 on the Google News tab. I'm going to say this before I receive any kind comment, I am NOT a Fallout fanboy. I love the Fallout games, but I'm not crazy about it. However, I will defend Fallout 4 if it looks like that it's receiving unfair treatment. I'm not saying Mr. Mills's article is unfair, but his point don't really validate not pre-ordering Fallout 4, so I must respectfully disagree with him.

If you want to check out the article for yourself, please click here
With all this being said, let me break down his points that he made. I recommend that you read the article, so you have a better viewpoint.
  1. "You've Never Played Fallout". When I first read the this header, I understand why this would be a point. It's like playing Contra for the first time and not knowing someone could die in one hit. However, there are millions of people who try games they never played before. I never played a Grand Theft Auto game before! However, GTA V was the first game I played and I loved it because I heard that GTA was one of the best franchises of all time and GTA V was hyped up. Fallout 3 is hailed as one of the greatest games of all time, so a lot of people bought it because they heard such good things about it. However, Mills contradicted himself when he stated, "Bethesda Studios is not only responsible for Fallout 3 but it's also the studio behind games like Elder Scrolls: Skyrim". This would only influence people to pre-order Fallout 4 because it's made by a company that is well-known for developing critically acclaimed games! I'm sorry Mr. Mills, but if you had the choice to hire someone who has a clean record or a criminal record then who would you choose?
  2. "You Don't Have a Lot of Free Time". As a customer, I want to spend my money on a game that is worthwhile. If I know that a game is long, then I know I shouldn't buy it if I don't have the time to play it! However, if the game is long then I will buy it because then it has to be filled with content. I myself don't have a lot of free time, but I will still buy the game because I can easily make a schedule to play the game on certain days. People who are organized will make the time to play a long game. 
  3. "You Don't Want to Pay Top Dollar". There are games that are and aren't worth $60. Fallout 4 is a game that is worth the $60. Just seeing the trailer proves that this game has a ton of content that will keep someone busy for some time! Going back to what I made in the 2nd point, someone will pay full price on a game if it's has replay value to it! I'm not going to spend $60 on a game that is four hours! This game is more than likely going to be in high demand when it releases, so don't even expect it to be on sale anytime soon. Grand Theft Auto V didn't see a significant price cut until late 2014 and that was only because the next-gen versions of the game released.
  4. "You Don't Want to Deal with Problems". The Witcher 3 and Fallout 3 may have received complaints when they released due to bugs, but patches have fixed these issues! Additionally, Bethesda is know for releasing games with bugs and glitches in them, but they made up for it in the quality in their games! They also fix their games as soon as possible. Assassin's Creed Unity was broken on the day it released, but people still continued to buy it! However, Mills does address the point I just made when he stated,"If you're a veteran gamer, you saw this coming". I give you props for that.
  5. "You're Forgetful". I kind of see why Mills made this a point, but it really doesn't. How can someone make a $60 purchase they made? If you pre-order at GameStop and have a PowerUp rewards card, you'll be aware of your purchases. Also, that's why retailers give someone a receipt! Mills made me chuckle when he states, "If you're unsure about your budget for November, you might want to hold off on a pre-order and buy the game once you have everything figured out". Not every retailer requires you to deposit $60 into a game for pre-order! There are plenty of place such as GameStop where you can pay the game off over time, so I'm sorry Mr. Mills, but this point is invalid.
I have nothing against the author. This is the first time that I have ever heard of this website. However, this article does not do a good job at explaining why not to pre-order Fallout 4. Every point was arguable! If you don't want to pre-order Fallout 4 or don't care for it, then that's okay. However, there is no denying that this article did not do a convincing job at its purpose.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: