Saturday, July 11, 2015

Why do we continue to play older Call of Duty games?

Hey Guys, for the past two days I've been playing Modern Warfare 3. Yes, that game is like almost 5 years old now, but it still has a fanbase. How could a game that old be moderately popular despite the fact that most people began complaining about the Call of Duty franchise on this particular game? Honestly, I don't know the exact answer to that question.
Image provided by Wallfoy
I think it's because of a pure nostalgia rush that we go back to visit the older COD games. Modern Warfare 3 was a big deal when it came out. Remember all those XP bonuses you could get from Mountain Dew and Doritos? I know that seems common today, but I believe this was the first time this was a thing. Also, I remember that it was the fastest-selling game of the year back in 2011. It still holds up today, but many people used to look down on it because a lot of people quit on Call of Duty after Modern Warfare 3.

Remember how much bigger Black Ops II was back in 2012? I still see a surprising number of people still playing that game. I used to play that game until my hands were sore! This game also still holds up today as well. However, I think a lot of people still continue to play this game because of Zombies. Advanced Warfare has a good Zombies mode as well, but the zombie's story in Black Ops III was far superior than to Advanced Warfare.

What about Ghosts and Advanced Warfare? In about 4 months, Ghosts will officially be two years old. This game still has a dedicated fanbase despite the fact that Ghosts is currently seen as the worst entry in the series by the community. Are they correct? No, they are fools. Ghosts is not a bad game, but I see where the complaints are coming from. Advanced Warfare was actually a big improvement on Ghosts, but it gets boring after a while.

Do you notice a trend that I'm making? We use the older COD games as a type catharsis due to the fact how boring the newer COD games are. We don't care if the game was bad at the time because we spent so much time away from it that we begin to have fun once we re-visit one of the older games. Call of Duty will be around for a long time. Love it or hate it, there is absolutely no denying that we all have at least one game in the series that we just loved.

Before I end this, sorry I didn't mention Black Ops or Modern Warfare 2. I didn't want to pick easy targets since most people including myself have had such good memories of these games in the past. Both games are still enjoyable to play as well. My copy of Black Ops got lazer burnt, so I can no longer play it, and I just don't play Modern Warfare 2 anymore.
Till Next Time!!

No comments: